Independent domestic violence advisor
Idva training to meet your needs
Our Idva training course is for Idvas, domestic abuse practitioners and service managers with a caseload. The aim of the course is to enhance your practical knowledge to ensure you are providing the best possible support for domestic abuse victims and their children.
The training is supported by relevant specialists from many different fields, including the criminal justice system, family law, child protection, sexual assault referral centres (Sarcs) and housing services.
98% of learners told us they felt more confident in their role after receiving our Idva training
The course is designed to enable you to:
- help victims and their children feel safer through the provision of a quality Idva response
- develop your confidence and skills through group work, coaching and one-to-one feedback sessions
- share experience and best practice with other Idva learners
- improve practice within your service
If you're new to SafeLives training choose Foundation level
The first eight days of all of our foundation courses cover what we consider the core essentials for anyone working with victims of domestic abuse. The final four days focus on a specialist subject - in this case, the role of the Idva. Complete the Idva foundation level training and receive Certificate in Domestic Abuse OCNLR Level 3.
Choose Expert level if you've completed a 12 day course with us before
Our expert level courses are designed for learners who have already attended foundation training in one subject and want to top up their knowledge by attending a shorter (four day) course in a new field. We will only accept individuals at expert level who have completed a foundation course with SafeLives. Complete two expert-level training courses and qualify for the diploma ‘Domestic abuse: prevention and early intervention’.
Foundation Level (12 days)
For learners new to SafeLives
Dates and locations:
- London - Starting 18 October 2016 - FULL
- Manchester - Starting 1 November 2016 - FULL
- London - Starting 1 November 2016 - FULL
- London - Starting 21 February 2017 - FULL
- Leeds - Starting 7 March 2017 - FULL
Autumn 2017 - Dates and locations to be announced
Register your interest and you will also be amongst the first to know when applications open. We aim to hold training in areas where we know there is demand, so it's also an opportunity to tell us whereabouts you are.
Expert level (4 days)
For learners who have completed a SafeLives foundation course
Price: Full fee: £795, Reduced fee: £550*
Dates and locations: London - Venue and dates to be confirmed.
* For registered charities with an annual income of less than £1m. There are a limited number of reduced fee places available so early applications are advised.