Training for outreach workers
We've listened to what Outreach workers need, and developed specialist training to help you give the best possible support to your clients, including:
- Trauma-informed responses to domestic abuse
- Strengths based working
- Building resilience and recovering safely
How the training helped Outreach worker Jenni Steele
We know how difficult it can be for smaller services to find budget for training costs, so we have been working hard to establish funding relationships that can help with this. We are thrilled to be able to offer 15 foundation places – that's over half of all places – at a reduced fee of £1,000 PLUS 15 expert-level places at a reduced fee of £300.
What I’ve learnt opens more doors for clients.
The course shows the importance of step-down and resilience across all levels of risk
About the course
This training is aimed at domestic abuse specialists such as outreach workers and Idvas who want to strengthen the support they offer to victims and survivors of domestic abuse. The course covers essential knowledge and skills for working with victims and survivors as part of a risk-led approach, with a particular emphasis on longer term recovery and resilience. Content includes:
- The short and long term effects of domestic abuse, including the impact of adverse childhood experiences, mental health and responses to trauma
- How to assess and engage clients across the risk spectrum
- Key skills and approaches for working with victims and survivors of domestic abuse, including care pathways, child contact and housing
- How to build resilience with clients who’ve experienced domestic abuse, including the role of employment and education
- Relevant legislation and how to apply it in practice
- Effective ways of working with outreach clients, including group/peer support, strengths-based working and cognitive behavioural approaches.
Foundation level - For learners who are new to SafeLives training
Qualification: Certificate in Domestic Abuse OCNLR Level 3
Dates and locations: 13-15th March 2018, 10-12th April 2018, 8-10th May 2018, 5-7th June 2018 – London
Prices - Subsidised places still available!
- First 15 places for smaller organisations just £1,000* (this subsidy applies to the first 15 eligible applicants)
- Remaining places for smaller organisations: £1950*
- Full fee - £2,400
* For registered charities with an annual income of less than £1m. There are a very limited amount of reduced fee spaces and these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Expert level - For learners who have completed a 12 day course with us before
Qualification: Complete two expert-level training courses and qualify for the diploma Domestic abuse: prevention and early intervention.
Dates and locations: 15-18th May, Location TBC
Prices - Subsidised places still available!
- Subsidised places for smaller organisations just £300* (this subsidy applies to the first 15 eligible applicants)
- Remaining places for smaller organisations: £550*
- Full fee - £795
* For registered charities with an annual income of less than £1m. There are a very limited amount of reduced fee spaces these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Foundation or expert?
The first eight days of all of our foundation courses cover what we consider the core essentials for anyone working with victims and survivors of domestic abuse. The final four days focus on a specialist subject - in this case, working in an outreach capacity. Our expert level courses are designed for learners who have already attended foundation training in one subject and want to top up their knowledge by attending a shorter (four day) course in a new field. Complete two expert-level training courses and qualify for the diploma Domestic abuse: prevention and early intervention.
For those working in Wales: Group 4 of the National Training Framework includes those in specialist roles working directly and only with those who have experienced violence against women, domestic abuse and sexual violence. All our certificate and diploma training is suitable for group 4 workers. Attending any expert unit will meet the criteria for CPD as outlined on p.15 of the guidance.
For queries about eligibility, pricing or any other questions, call our training team on 0117 403 3224 and ask for Tom McElveen or email email@example.com