Training for outreach workers
We believe that all victims of domestic abuse deserve help to become safe, whatever their level of risk.
This training is aimed at domestic abuse specialists such as outreach workers and Idvas who want to strengthen the support they offer to victims of medium-risk domestic abuse.
The course covers essential knowledge and skills for working with victims as part of a risk-led approach, with a particular emphasis on longer term recovery and resilience.
As well as learning from SafeLives’ skilled trainers, you’ll hear from a range of experts in the field. You can expect to learn about:
- The short and long term effects of domestic abuse, including the impact of adverse childhood experiences, mental health and responses to trauma
- How to assess and engage clients at medium-risk of harm
- Key skills and approaches for working with medium-risk victims, including care pathways, child contact and housing
- How to build resilience with clients who’ve experienced domestic abuse, including the role of employment and education
- Relevant legislation and how to apply it in practice
- Effective ways of working with medium-risk clients, including group/peer support, strengths-based working and cognitive behavioural approaches.
Foundation level - For learners who are new to SafeLives training
Complete the SafeLives foundation level training for outreach workers and receive Certificate in Domestic Abuse OCNLR Level 3. The first eight days of all of our foundation courses cover what we consider the core essentials for anyone working with victims of domestic abuse. The final four days focus on a specialist subject - in this case, working in an outreach capacity.
Dates and locations
- London - Starting 17 October - NEW
Price for Outreach training foundation level - New subsidised prices for 2017
We know how difficult it can be for smaller services to find budget for training costs so we have been working hard to establish funding relationships that can help with this. We are thrilled to be able to offer 15 places - that's over half of all places - at a reduced fee of £1000.
- Reduced fee - £1,000 * Usual price £1950
- Full fee - £2,400
* For registered charities with an annual income of less than £1m. There are a very limited amount of reduced fee spaces and these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Expert level - for learners who have completed a 12 day course with us before
Our expert level courses are designed for learners who have already attended foundation training in one subject and want to top up their knowledge by attending a shorter (four day) course in a new field. Complete two expert-level training courses and qualify for the diploma Domestic abuse: prevention and early intervention.
Dates and locations
- Bristol - starting 21 November
Price for Outreach Expert level - New subsidised prices for 2017
We know how difficult it can be for smaller services to find budget for training costs so we have been working hard to establish funding relationships that can help. As a result of these efforts we are thrilled to be able to offer 15 places - that's over half of all places - at a reduced fee of £1000.
- Reduced fee - £300* Usual price £550
- Full fee - £795
* For registered charities with an annual income of less than £1m. There are a very limited amount of reduced fee spaces at £1,950 and these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.